De Blasio announces vaccination mandate for all New York City workers

De Blasio announces vaccination mandate for all New York City workers 1 00:00:00,090 --> 00:00:05,520 >> So what is the next step here. You put in the mandate for teachers. Now you're going bigger with it. What's the announcement. 2 00:00:05,520 --> 00:00:10,920 >> It's a mandate now for all city agencies all city workers. It's time for 3 00:00:10,920 --> 00:00:16,320 everyone to get vaccinated. Our public employees are going to lead us out of the covered area 4 00:00:16,320 --> 00:00:21,920 . Look what we did with our schools worked. Our schools are incredibly safe. 5 00:00:21,920 --> 00:00:27,450 And families needed to know their kids to be safe. Well we all need to know we're gonna be safe going forward 6 00:00:27,450 --> 00:00:33,060 . We've got to end the cove era our police officers are EMT as 7 00:00:33,060 --> 00:00:36,110 our firefighters all our public employees. 8 00:00:36,150 --> 00:00:41,610 >> A lot of whom come in very close contact with their fellow New Yorkers. They need to be safe. Their families need 9 00:00:41,610 --> 00:00:47,400 to be safe. But we also need to reassure all New Yorkers that if you're working with a public employee they're 10 00:00:47,400 --> 00:00:49,200 vaccinated everyone is going to be safe. 11 00:00:49,200 --> 00:00:54,990 >> The city has done pretty well with its public employees already I think the numbers 70 percent of them have been vaccinated 12 00:00:54,990 --> 00:01:00,270 . So you're really targeting the other 30 percent and you specifically mentioned police and firefighters. We 13 00:01:00,270 --> 00:01:04,320 know some of those vaccination rates have been a little lower. Is that who you're thinking about here. 14 00:01:04,320 --> 00:01:09,660 >> I'm thinking about all city employees who are not yet vaccinated. We need them across the boards about 15 00:01:09,660 --> 00:01:14,970 forty six thousand who still are not vaccinated and we proved with our schools we 16 00:01:14,970 --> 00:01:20,400 proved with our hospitals it could be done the right way. The safe way for everybody and this 17 00:01:20,400 --> 00:01:24,360 is part of why we've got Cove it on the run right now in New York City but you'd never look. 18 00:01:24,360 --> 00:01:29,640 >> We learned the hard way with the Delta variant never let up the gas uncovered. Never think it's 19 00:01:29,640 --> 00:01:34,770 easy to defeat this enemy. We've got more work to do. Our public employees have to be 20 00:01:34,770 --> 00:01:40,200 part of this solution. But I think it is on a human level. We have lost 21 00:01:40,200 --> 00:01:45,780 a lot of our public employees. We've lost a lot of people serve us in this country law enforcement. 22 00:01:45,780 --> 00:01:51,090 We've lost 460 law enforcement officers to code it more than to 23 00:01:51,090 --> 00:01:52,410 any other cause. 24 00:01:52,410 --> 00:01:57,750 >> And we've got to protect them. We've got to protect each other and we've got to realize if 25 00:01:57,750 --> 00:02:02,970 we don't keep vaccination strong we won't turn the corner fast enough we'll 26 00:02:02,970 --> 00:02:08,490 lose tens of thousands more people in this country. And I'm saying this To every mayor every governor 27 00:02:08,490 --> 00:02:13,680 every CEO. It's time for these mandates finish this war or 28 00:02:13,680 --> 00:02:16,040 we're going to have covered with us way too long so.

De Blasio announces vaccination mandate for all New York City workers

De Blasio announces vaccination mandate for all New York City workers

1 00:00:00,090 --> 00:00:05,520 >> So what is the next step here. You put in the mandate for teachers. Now you're going bigger with it. What's the announcement. 2 00:00:05,520 --> 00:00:10,920 >> It's a mandate now for all city agencies all city workers. It's time for 3 00:00:10,920 --> 00:00:16,320 everyone to get vaccinated. Our public employees are going to lead us out of the covered area 4 00:00:16,320 --> 00:00:21,920 . Look what we did with our schools worked. Our schools are incredibly safe. 5 00:00:21,920 --> 00:00:27,450 And families needed to know their kids to be safe. Well we all need to know we're gonna be safe going forward 6 00:00:27,450 --> 00:00:33,060 . We've got to end the cove era our police officers are EMT as 7 00:00:33,060 --> 00:00:36,110 our firefighters all our public employees. 8 00:00:36,150 --> 00:00:41,610 >> A lot of whom come in very close contact with their fellow New Yorkers. They need to be safe. Their families need 9 00:00:41,610 --> 00:00:47,400 to be safe. But we also need to reassure all New Yorkers that if you're working with a public employee they're 10 00:00:47,400 --> 00:00:49,200 vaccinated everyone is going to be safe. 11 00:00:49,200 --> 00:00:54,990 >> The city has done pretty well with its public employees already I think the numbers 70 percent of them have been vaccinated 12 00:00:54,990 --> 00:01:00,270 . So you're really targeting the other 30 percent and you specifically mentioned police and firefighters. We 13 00:01:00,270 --> 00:01:04,320 know some of those vaccination rates have been a little lower. Is that who you're thinking about here. 14 00:01:04,320 --> 00:01:09,660 >> I'm thinking about all city employees who are not yet vaccinated. We need them across the boards about 15 00:01:09,660 --> 00:01:14,970 forty six thousand who still are not vaccinated and we proved with our schools we 16 00:01:14,970 --> 00:01:20,400 proved with our hospitals it could be done the right way. The safe way for everybody and this 17 00:01:20,400 --> 00:01:24,360 is part of why we've got Cove it on the run right now in New York City but you'd never look. 18 00:01:24,360 --> 00:01:29,640 >> We learned the hard way with the Delta variant never let up the gas uncovered. Never think it's 19 00:01:29,640 --> 00:01:34,770 easy to defeat this enemy. We've got more work to do. Our public employees have to be 20 00:01:34,770 --> 00:01:40,200 part of this solution. But I think it is on a human level. We have lost 21 00:01:40,200 --> 00:01:45,780 a lot of our public employees. We've lost a lot of people serve us in this country law enforcement. 22 00:01:45,780 --> 00:01:51,090 We've lost 460 law enforcement officers to code it more than to 23 00:01:51,090 --> 00:01:52,410 any other cause. 24 00:01:52,410 --> 00:01:57,750 >> And we've got to protect them. We've got to protect each other and we've got to realize if 25 00:01:57,750 --> 00:02:02,970 we don't keep vaccination strong we won't turn the corner fast enough we'll 26 00:02:02,970 --> 00:02:08,490 lose tens of thousands more people in this country. And I'm saying this To every mayor every governor 27 00:02:08,490 --> 00:02:13,680 every CEO. It's time for these mandates finish this war or 28 00:02:13,680 --> 00:02:16,040 we're going to have covered with us way too long so.